Connect with us

News

We’re in hot pursuit of Kagara kidnappers but we need tips from the public: Army

Published

on

Military presence at GSC Kagara after abductors kidnapped members of staff and students of the school. [Photo credit: BBC]

By Agency Reporter

Nigerian Army says its troops are in pursuit of abductors of kidnapped members of staff and students of Government Science School, Kagara, Niger.

Army spokesman Mohammed Yerima announced this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

Mr. Yerima said that the Nigerian Army had renewed efforts to ensure swift response to the unfortunate incident.

He said it had been reported that the bandits gained entry into the school in the early hours of Wednesday and abducted an unspecified number of members of staff and students of the school.

“The Nigerian Army in line with its constitutional mandate wishes to reassure the public that troops in operational synergy with sister security agencies are in hot pursuit of the criminal elements to ensure safe return of the kidnapped victims,” Mr. Yerima said.

The spokesman however begged the public who may know the whereabouts of the abductors to provide such information to the Nigerian Army.

Meanwhile, Governor Abubakar Sani-Bello of Niger has confirmed the abduction of 27 students, three staff and 12 family members by the gunmen from the school, Peoples Gazette reported earlier.

Mr. Bello made the confirmation at a news conference shortly after an emergency meeting with heads of security agencies in Minna on Wednesday.

He, however, urged the federal government to deploy all resources to secure the state, while the state government was doing everything possible to ensure safe return of the students and staff.

President Muhammadu Buhari had since directed the Armed Forces and police, to ensure immediate and safe return of all the captives.

Mr. Buhari also dispatched a team of security chiefs to coordinate the rescue operation and meet with state officials, community leaders as well as parents and staff of the college.

(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

News

TapSwap sets July 1st as new launch date

Published

on

By

Tapswap

The popular crypto-currency platform, TapSwap has officially postponed her launch date from May 30th to July 1st, citing some reason for numerous bots.

This was made known to the public via the official social media platform of the crypto-currency platform on X.com (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday.

It was gathered that TapSwap decided to shift the launch date to July after they discovered some illegal bots are compromises the integrity of the token distribution process, hence enabling users to earn an unfair amount of Shares.

In order to rectify this issue, according to a statement released by TapSwap, they need sometime to identify, stop, and ban these bots, noting that this move will reward those who have earned them honestly.

See the screenshot of their statement below:

This is a developing story on TapSwap, check back for latest update…

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Tinubu signs old National Anthem bill into law

Published

on

By

Nigerian president, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has officially signed the old national anthem bill, making it a law.

THE DAILY PAGE recalls that the Nigeria senate on Tuesday passed a bill seeking to revert from the current national anthem to the old national anthem, “Nigeria, we hail thee”.

This was made known to the public by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio on Wednesday during a joint session of the National Assembly.

This is a developing story, check back for update…

Continue Reading

News

NLC rejects N60,000 new minimum wage proposed by FG

Published

on

By

new minimum wage rejected by NLC

The Federal Government of Nigeria has proposed N60000 new minimum wage has been rejected by the Nigeria Labour Congress, which claims it is offensive to the sensitivities of Nigerian workers.

According to a report by the Cable Newspaper, the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress rejected an earlier proposal by the federal government for a minimum salary of N48,000. This rejection occurred in as little as two weeks.

THE DAILY PAGE recalls that the National Labor Council (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) had suggested a minimum salary of N615,500 for Nigerian workers, noting the country’s high cost of living. They also gave the federal government until May 31 to complete the process of setting a new national minimum wage.

This is a developing story, check back for an update…

Continue Reading

Trending